Murfreesboro Tennessee History
Murfreesboro began as a predominantly agricultural community, but by 1853 the area was home to several colleges and academies, earning the nickname "Athens, Tennessee." The city of La Vergne in Tennessee holds the record for the largest population growth in the state of Tennessee in a year. In 1855, the Murfreeboro area was home to three colleges and several academies, leading to a religious reporter calling it "athens Tennessee."
The city was renamed Murfreesboro and renamed Cannonsburgh in 1855, the same year as the city of La Vergne in Tennessee. In 1856 Cannonburgh was renamed again, this time Murfreeboro, after the city's first mayor, William C. "Cannons" Hill.
The Tennessee General Assembly designated the town as the new county seat of Rutherford County in 1803 and named it Cannonsburgh. In 1811, Murfreesboro was chartered by the Tennessee Legislature and named Rutherford, which was chartered in 1797. It replaced Jefferson, who had declared it the second largest city in his district - after Jefferson City, Virginia, in the United States, and Jefferson County, Kentucky, whose first county - Knoxville, Tennessee, and its third largest city in Tennessee in 1803.
By 1840, Murfreesboro could have become the permanent capital, but local officials undermined the state's Democratic hopes of relocating by refusing to pay for the official record of the relocation from Nashville to Murfreesborough. West Tennessee College existed until 1851, when trustees offered the Tennessee Baptist College buildings and grounds, as well as a foundation, to attract state Baptist leaders planning a Southwestern regional university. Union University of Murmelsboro was founded by three separate conventions in Tennessee, and the reward was a scholarship from the Tennessee General Assembly to the university.
Adams and Garrison brought this reality here in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and the hospital served as the first hospital in what is now named after them. In the early 20th century, the Tennessee College of Women's College building and grounds on Main Street and Main Street were demolished and replaced by the Tennessee College for Women, which existed until 1946. Tennessee State University of Murmelsboro Medical Center and Medical School opened in 1905 and joined Tennessee Medical College and Hospital, a branch of the Tennessee State Hospital System, and a sister hospital of Georgia State Medical University in Knoxville, Tennessee, which opened its own medical school in 1907.
In 1911, Middle Tennessee State University became the central institution in Murfreesboro and today has the highest student enrollment in the state, accommodating over 23,000 students and attracting 21,000 students from around the world and from Rutherford County. The city is located in the center of the population of Tennessee and belongs to the greater Nashville area, which includes Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville International Airport and the University of Nashville. It is also a major tourist destination for the Tennessee Valley Authority, the largest city in Tennessee with more than 1.5 million residents.
The historic center of Murfreesboro also offers a shopping and dining experience around the pre-Civil War courthouse. If historic homes are more your thing, visit the historic plantation houses that hosted prominent visitors during the Civil War and Cannonburgh Village, which represents the Tennessee lifestyle of the early 1800s. The Middle Tennessee Museum of Natural History is the only museum of its kind in Tennessee. It publishes quarterly articles of genealogical and historical interest.
The industry has also had a significant impact on the Murfreesboro economy and other parts of the state. The industry also played an important role in the economic development of Tennessee and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TNVA). It also had a major impact on the economy of the state of Tennessee, for example in the construction of roads and bridges.
The Nashville and Chattanooga railroads remained an important artery of the federal supply system during the Atlantic campaign and the March to the Sea.
The Confederate Army of Tennessee, weakened by power struggles and misunderstandings between commanders at that time, but still deadly, attempted to retreat across the Tennessee River to the Chattanooga area and take command, setting the stage for the next phase of the conflict. The Battle of Murfreesboro dragged on, and the Confederate Army, having lost its first major battle, retreated to its Nashville headquarters, and then turned to the defense of Murfreesboro.
As settlements in Tennessee expanded westward, the capital Knoxville became uncomfortable for most newcomers. Rutherford County is the only surviving Tennessee census from 1810, but even that county's census schedule is incomplete. As Tennessee expanded westward, it became convenient for much of that population, but as Tennessee's settlements expanded westward, the locations of capitals like Knox County became uncomfortable for most newcomers. In 1811, Tennessee state legislature established a committee to select a new site for its seat, and it chose Murfreesboro.
During the Civil War, the Confederate Army of Tennessee camped in Murfreesboro from 1861 to 1863 as part of the Tennessee Valley Campaign. Civilians were living in the city when it was occupied by the 1st Tennessee Division of the US Army and the 2nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment.